Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Taco Seasoning...throw out that package..eerrrr...I mean recycle it...redneck...


For my first recipe I thought I'd start with something really exciting and new!!!

But I left my notes at work so I will have to just tell you about my home made taco seasoning. Not pure rocket science yes, but it's one of the first packaged seasoning product replacements I made.

We are a big fan of "Mexican" night (sorry Rick Bayless) in this house, usually once a week we have some form or taco, hard or soft, burrito, enchilada, or nachos.

Now this is one of those recipes that I had seen in passing, but never paid much attention to because hey, no-one does it better than Old Elpaso right?

Wrong! Michael Smith, that gentle Food Network giant (seriously the guy's like 6'8" or something) provided me the base and it has evolved from there.

I use this to "Mexicanize" beef, chicken, fish, rice, black beans, and I have been known to sprinkle it on top of a plate of cheese covered nachos...who doesn't need an evening snack of taco chips covered in cheese? Well I do, and I'm lazy at 10:00pm so I sprinkle this stuff over the chips, cheese and onions, pop the plate in the microwave for 2 minutes and BAM! El Nacho Libre...


Taco Seasoning
*All spices are dried & ground unless otherwise noted

2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cinnamon-yes cinnamon, trust me....
1/2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt or a seasoning salt blend-your choice, sometimes I use a seasoning salt just to mix things up
1 tsp dried (not ground) oregano

Mix all the spices together and set aside.

Next you will need

1 small clove garlic minced
2 tbsp onion minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 minced jalapeƱo
1/2- 1 cup of water
1/2 of a lime

1. Grab a pan large enough to cook your required amount of meat. In about 2 tbsp veg oil saute the garlic & onion till soft about 2-3 mins.

2. Add your meat-hamburger, chopped chicken meat, fish, or beans, for you poor deprived vegetarians, and cook till done.

3. Add about HALF the spice mix and stir well to combine. You will need to use your brain here**, add more if you like, a bit more salt if you think it needs it.

**Sidebar - I am assuming if you are reading this you have some sort of idea about how to cook. Always use your personal taste when spicing foods-don't blame me if it's too spicy or not enough or whatever...It's all about personal responsibility people...

4. At this point cook it dry for a few minutes to bring out the flavours, but keep stirring or you'll burn it for Christ's sake.

5. Add the tomato paste, jalapeƱos and water. You want enough water to about half way cover the meat...UNLESS IT'S FISH-SKIP THIS STEP AND THE NEXT IF YOU ARE USING FISH. That would be gross...the fish wouldn't stand up well to simmering. If using beans, mash them up a bit as they cook for a refried kinda look.

6. Simmer on low till the liquid is gone and the meat is all saucy and yummy looking, you can keep going till it's a bit dry if you prefer, drier = a bit less messy.

7. Right before dispensing above meat onto tortilla style of choice, squeeze the lime over the meat and stir. This brightens up the flavour a bit, cuts the heat from the spice, really nice...don't make me say it twice....

Obvious - top with shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, salsa, fresh chopped cilantro, and of course more fresh squeezed lime...fo sho it makes your taco taste so good.

This a great recipe to double, triple, quadruple, I make a big batch of the dried spices to have on hand.

A good alternative to ground beef is Chicken and Black Bean together. For some reason it works best in a soft tortilla, all wrapped up like a burrito. I think it's because those black bean can't go all Mexican jumping bean out of the tortilla...did you ever have those as a kid? It was a small plastic container and when you put in near a heat source it would jump all over the place...wonder what the hell those things actually were...anyways....enjoy.

1 comment: