Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The beginning...

I grew up surrounded by great cooks and food as local as it comes, though of course did not fully appreciate it as a child. I look back now and am thankful for what I learned / experienced...watching Granny cook a huge family dinner like it was nothing, never sitting down until all was done and everyone served...despising weeding the garden- such a hardship! But the joy of sneaking down the row of peas and stealing a few off the vine, sitting in the dry, hot prairie dirt, feeling the sweet pop of a sun-warmed baby pea in my mouth...watching dad fillet the fish that were moments ago flopping around in the kitchen sink (don't even get me started on the skinning that took place in the garage) picking choke cherries along grassy dirt roads to make jelly...such warm, dust filled memories that have shaped my vision of food and where it should come from.

This whole business of "sustainable eating" that people have "discovered" irks me. We've become so far removed from our food sources because of various trends like this that it's ironic to me that people are discovering this "new" way of eating and "finding" new sources of food...it's always been there, they were just too busy trying to one-up each other with the newest craze-"Oh has you tried Sadza? Oh dear you must, it is all the rage..blah blah blah...

When I look at a product I see at it as more of a process: how many steps/processes did it take to get to my plate? If I can't easily imagine how the product got on the shelf, I don't really want to ingest it...Can I easily make this myself with whole foods? Damn straight I can, and do, make it myself...as much as possible. I'm not a purist, I do eat processed foods and will never claim not to...how could anyone give up a beautiful Kitkat, or turn their nose up at a perfectly stacked Whopper with cheese? It's all about balancing out the whole with processed, the good fat with the bad, the daring with the traditional etc etc etc...I feel that food is to be enjoyed, not over analyzed and judged based on current foodie trends.

Well then....for me this blog is about recording my recipes and attempts, sharing ideas with anyone who is interested in just plain old good food...If you are looking for good recipes, unpretentious banter about food and life, some random musical interludes, and a little bit of humour now and then, you've come to the right place...please feel free to comment, I appreciate your feedback...just don't dare call me a "foodie"...

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering when you were going to start a blog!!! We wil have to do a summer blog project... Building a smoker and roasting a pig!

    ReplyDelete